Monday, April 6, 2015

Irish Lullaby

Last week I did something I had never done before: purchased an unpainted artist resin.


Her price was just too good, her performance prospects too strong, and her face too stinkin' cute to pass up.


She's a Brona resin, sculpted and produced by the very talented Irish artist Eva Rossiter.


I think the pictures say it all!






Of course, even before she has color she has a name. Because she's an Irish Draught, and actually physically from Ireland, I'm going with Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral. Lulu for short, maybe?


All of my performance horses have song title names; Tru-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral (That's an Irish Lullaby) is the title of an old Irish-American song most famously known in its cover by Bing Crosby.


My mom used to sing it to me when I was very little, when she tucked me into bed, and I went most of my young life believing it was just a little song someone in my Irish ancestry had made up and passed down through the generations.



Not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed when I found its Wikipedia page and realized I didn't descend from a family of masterful Irish lullaby composers. Even so, none of the covers of the song I've ever heard quite match how my mom and grandmother would sing it, and the tune carries a special little place in my heart.

Anyway.

In my biggest English saddle!

I can't quite decide if she's large Stablemate scale, or just a large Stablemate! Here she is with Breyer's G3 Warmblood, which is on the bigger end of the Breyer spectrum:


Bit of a size difference there!


Now, Irish Draughts actually are huge horses...

This is a stallion, but still.

...so maybe I can make her work with my Stablemate scale performance gear?



No matter what scale she is, she definitely won't be sharing tack with any of my Breyers! 


One nice thing about having a naked resin is the ability to make her tack without fear of damaging a paint job! All of the ideas I have brewing for this girl (UK hunt seat? Side saddle? Fox hunting?) are currently taking the back burner while I keep plugging away at my NW Expo entries, but one day I'm sure she'll be a fantastic performance prospect!

2 comments: